US/CAN: 6 things freight brokers need to know for their next cross border load

Posted by Kevin Hill on

US – Canadian cross-border shipments aren’t usually too complicated.  The carriers can usually handle the entire customs and border crossing on their own. 

With that said, moving loads across the border is easier when you know the key terms and processes.  Below you will find the main points to know when talking to your customers or carriers. 

C-TPAT –Shippers and carriers who join C-TPAT are held to strict security processes and procedures.  Though the benefits include reducing time and risks in the movement of goods when a company and its vendors are members.

FAST – For drivers of C-TPAT approved carriers.   This program expedites the clearance process at the borders.

In-Bond – What’s the difference between a TIB, IT, or T&E bond? This article answers this question, along with how in bond cargo is designed to protect goods in transit through a country. 

PAPS – The number and paperwork drivers need when entering the US from Canada.)

PARS – The number and paperwork drivers need when entering Canada from the US. 

Tandem vs Spread Axle – Article detailing some of the differences between US and Canadian trucking regulations.  Especially the spread vs tandem axle regulations for Western Canada.

 Click here to download a sample of US/CAN Cross Border Carriers which consists of 600 carriers. 


Leave a comment